Wednesday, March 25, 2009

No where to go but UP!

Finally some good news!!!
For all of you who read my last blog, you know how sad and scared we have been for the little one creating a home in my tummy. Last Thursday we had an amnio to see if we could get some answers as to what is going on and to basically prepare ourselves for whatever defect baby might have. With Cystic Hygroma, there is almost always some sort of defect, generally a trisomy, some are life long incurable defects like Down's Syndrome while others are fatal early in life with life expectancies reaching 1 year. These are all common defects with Cystic Hygroma, and obviously what my doctor is most concerned about. So we did the amnio.. and for those of you who say that it doesn't hurt all that much.. you are a stronger woman than me! It was pretty intense and a very painful 2 days after. Honestly, I would rather have another C-section than ever do that again!
Anyway.. back to the point (oh the joys of non-medicated ADHD!). The first round of results were to take 2-3 days and they were the results that included all of the trisomy tests. Yesterday (Tuesday) we FINALLY got the call from my doctor... well Doug did. He quickly called me and I quickly began shaking. I know the percentages and I know that they aren't in my favor. But.. God is up there cheering for us and that was never more evident than yesterday. All of the tests came back normal.. baby does not have any of the major chromosonal or genetic defects that are common!!! There is still a chance that Turners syndrome might be a risk. Turners syndrome is when a girl either only carries 1 X chromosone or 2 X chromosones, 1 of which is incomplete. The tests show 2 which is a step in the right direction, we are just not sure yet if they are both complete. Turners Syndrome is not curable but it's more of a growth affecting defect than anything else. Average height is 4'8 without growth hormones. I'm 5'2 on a good day, so I see no shame in being short!!!
So thats that.. so far so good. There is still the issue of the cystic hygroma itself and the fluid that was present in her tummy last Thursday. The fluid in the tummy is scary because if it keeps growing it puts too much pressure on her little heart. The last results from the amnio take up to 3 weeks, and they are for things like spina bifida, cystic firbrosis, etc... hard things to deal with but not considering the trisomy's that we believed we were facing. But for now we have renewed hope. She is growing perfectly and actually caught up to where I thought I was (about a week further than the doctors thought), she has all 4 chambers developing in her heart, which is beating a strong and steady 160 bpm, all of her organs look good, she was kicking away and sucking her thumb on the ultrasound last week, and the doctor said structurally everything is as it should be.
Keep praying for her.. she needs all the help she can get. She is my daughter which means she is stubborn and a fighter, so we know she won't give up without giving it her all! Thank you for all of your kind words.. we appreciate everyone's support, prayers and thoughts more than you know.

No comments: